Monday, January 13, 2014


Good Questions

I’m thinking about how much we assume about kids. I keep going back to Vivian Paley and her talent for connecting with kids in a meaningful, non-judgmental way. In You Can’t Say You Can’t Play, she asked students at her school for advice about the rule she was interested in implementing in her kindergarten class. How often do we ask kids for advice?


My third grade reading/writing buddy, Miss C, is very bright and creative.  After we met and chatted a while, I asked her what she thought about spelling as a subject, since I was about to have her do a spelling exercise. She said, “I’m really good at spelling but it’s boring because it doesn’t give me much to work with.” It turns out she is quite articulate about what is challenging, boring, or interesting to her at school, and she is able to describe her learning strategies, too. I hadn’t anticipated getting this much good information from such a simple question.

In the article “The Power of Questions,” the author, teacher Annie Huynh, would find one of her third grade students, Natalie, “frequently talking or staring around the room [instead of reading].” Ms. Huynh decided to sit down with Natalie and talk with her about reading rather than applying more classroom management techniques to get her to stay “on task.” Together they uncovered information more likely to help the student choose books that are suited to her interests.
Why would a student take the risk to allow us access to their thoughts and feelings unless we have earned it by forging respectful relationships with them? I would love to hear examples you have seen of questions that elicited meaningful answers from kids, or examples of questions that shut kids down instead. I will look for examples in the comments section.

Thanks, and cheers.

1 comment:

  1. "Why would a student take the risk to allow us access to their thoughts and feelings unless we have earned it by forging respectful relationships with them?" I think this is a great thought, thank you for sharing. I think it is important for teachers to ask questions that elicite meaningful answers from kids, instead of shutting kids down. You got a very meaningful response from your third grade buddy! An example I'm thinking of where students were being lifted up instead of put down was in achall28's blog: https://achall28.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/the-wall/ where the teachers gave students the option to name the wall which would display their hard work. I think that is so great, not only are they being praised for their work, but they are also being asked to part take in naming a wall, which is meaningful to kids!

    ReplyDelete