Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Challenge and Reward of Working in a Group

The sixth graders did a wonderful K'Nex cars project for math.

It was a design and data gathering challenge. But what interested me the most was how the kids did or didn't get along as they worked in groups.

The boys in this photo worked extremely well together during all phases of the project. They were all engaged and they all contributed, despite there being some personalities and voices that were stronger than others.

Some of this success comes from the students doing many in-class activities in groups during the year and from having clear instructions and time limits. A few other groups struggled at times though, and one came to a complete halt.

The stalled group reached stalemate because one of the group members (Miss E) did not like the decisions the two other group members were making, although they were considering her input, and happened to be two of the most cooperation-minded students in the class. Miss E is an extremely intelligent, creative, strong-willed sixth grader, with an amazing work ethic. However she does sometimes get swamped by her overabundant creative impulses. Even on independent projects, she often has too many (good) ideas, and suffers from trying to cram them all into the project of the moment.

At one point, Miss E was sitting separately from the other two students, drawing a meticulously detailed, beautifully labeled diagram of their K'Nex car. She said that she wanted to work on her own project and not in a group because the other girls were not communicating with her well. My CT was matter-of-fact: you have to do it in a group; work it out. My CT did also give the other two some guidance about how to reunite: wait until Miss E finishes her drawing, then continue working together. This did actually work, though I hadn't been sure it would. Thinking about it afterward, I see that my CT's response (which did have a streak of frustration in it), in the end challenged the girls to work it out as quickly as possible, and they were up to the task.

I do think Miss E genuinely suffers because of others' behavior - she is clearly angry at other students when they are not conscientious or when they are just goofy. But the other two girls, who are also high academic achievers, get frustrated too. I asked them if the other students in the class being noisy and boisterous distracts them when they are trying to do their work, and they said yes, and not only that, but they are often seated right next to the noisiest  kids because the teacher wants to separate those kids from their friends. In fact, they said that this has been happening for years at the school, just because of the mix of the kids in their grade.

This motivates me to try some new things during the rest of the school year. As I take over teaching more and more, I want to introduce a few new ways of doing things, especially during transitions and group work times. My CT is encouraging about this, so I feel lucky there.

In subsequent blog posts I will report what I tried and how it worked, or didn't work. Either way I'm sure I will gain new information about teaching and about these particular kids. My Yardsticks book (by Chip Wood) says that kids this age "appreciate teachers who listen and respond to their suggestions for changes in routines, when realistic," so that will be my next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment