Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Running your class

Eadweard Muybridge

Entry for July 31st

Today's race-for-the-bones activity made me remember how powerful physical activity is, and how it can positively impact learning. 

My experiences in elementary school with exercise were very traditional: hopscotch, tetherball, baseball, basketball. I am glad to hear that in some high schools, students are getting a chance to do things like pilates, dance, and yoga. Learning ways of moving that they can use all of their lives seems like one way to really serve the students in a meaningful way.

The skeleton activity was brief, but was enough to blow the cobwebs out of my brain, like hitting the "refresh" button. The fact that there are so many possibilities to combine movement with science or math, or really anything, is one reason why I wanted to become a teacher. Working with kids doing visual and performing arts and combining these with other subject areas like social studies showed me some of the potential for creativity in learning and teaching. 



No comments:

Post a Comment